Thursday, October 17, 2013

Without Further Ado

Love Came Down         by Crystal Neubauer
So I'll just get this part out of the way right up front, today is my birthday. I'm a 48 year old woman and I pouted first thing in the morning because my husband hadn't wrapped my presents yet and I really wanted to open them RIGHT NOW!

What an embarrassing confession to make. You see, I have never been the type to really like surprises. But I actually love surprises!

Such a contradictory statement. What I really mean is that I don't like waiting when I know something good is coming, but I honestly do love a good surprise. And yesterday two packages arrived, both were presents from my husband and I knew one was exactly what I asked for (engaged my excellent sleuthing skills via return address label) and the other was a mystery and I could hardly wait to find out what it was!

So here I am now, sheepishly sitting in front of the fireplace, new boots on my feet and two beautifully handcrafted mugs sitting on the coffee table in front of me, grateful for the many changes that have marked my life this year, and for those in my husband, who didn't get defensive or upset at my momentary lapse into self-centeredness, but instead good-naturedly "snuck" into the living room to wrap my gifts, refusing my embarrassed pleas to wait until dinner tonight like he had planned.

And as if this little story weren't enough to make a girl feel completely happy on her birthday, today I get to share some really exciting news with you and some really really exciting new news with you! (And WOW! Have I had a tough time waiting to share the surprise!)

First off, I am so thrilled to be the featured artist over on The Altered Page today. Seth Apter, author of said blog, is spotlighting 30 artists in 30 days. Each one of the 30 are featured in his newest book, to be released this month, titled "The Mixed Media Artist: Art Tips, Tricks, Secrets, and Dreams From Over 40 Amazing Artists"



Really, he is the amazing one. Seth has a way of truly finding the best of the mixed media art world and sharing it through his unique vision in texture, color, rhythm and harmony. His own art and pictures resonate deeply with me and has brought me back to his blog time and again over the many many years that I have been following him. Each time I have been moved to comment on something (which happens often!) he is so gracious to reply. To say that I was honored to be invited to be a part of the stellar line up in his second book would be the understatement of the year. I am still in awe of the invitation and even more in awe of the visual stimulation and ideas that will be found within its pages.

Don't walk, run on over to Seth's blog and check out the artists he has featured so far this month, leave him a comment on any of the 30/30 posts and you will be entered in a drawing for a chance to win a signed copy of your own!

Come What May      by Crystal Neubauer

And now without further ado, the news I have so eagerly been waiting to share with you - you know the confession I made above, about my love/hate relationship with surprises?? This year has been an absolute dream year, both in my personal life and in my career. It seems to be a year of reaping a harvest that just keeps getting better and better. . .

A long long long time dream of writing my own book is coming to fruition. After writing for, and sharing my own work in, three different books in one year, I knew it was time to finally submit a proposal of my own.

Over three years ago I was approached by an editor for North Light Books asking if I would be interested in writing and I said "hold on, let me think about it". . . HA! No, I said a wholehearted YES!!! But then life was happening in waves at that time and I knew the timing was not right for me so I pulled back.

But this year I knew it was my year. And indeed it is! Not only did I begin to have absolute clarity on what I wanted to say and share, but the editors at North Light so caught my vision that they approved my proposal and expanded it beyond what even I had imagined, deciding to make a special hard cover edition out of it and cross promote it between their fine art and mixed media divisions!

Whew! This is one lucky and blessed girl and to get to share it with you on my birthday is just plain icing on the cake! Yes, without further ado, this month marks a life long dream come true as I begin writing "The Art of Intuitive Collage".

This truly is a redeemed life.

39 comments:

  1. Crystal. Happy Birthday first off! I read this post leaning in...what an amazingnLIST of things to be happy about. From the coffee mugs...to a book deal!!!! WHAT???? I LOVE it and I don't even KNOW YOU!!!! There IS a time to sow AND a time to reap...You are LOVEd, whether the big things happen or not...nut isn't it GREAt when they do! Keep inspiring ME in the many ways that you DO!!! Now...go outside and WHOOOP! Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Go outside and WHOOP!" What a great idea. I think I'll do that. Thanks so much for the comment and your continued affirming my journey here and on FB Laura!

      Delete
  2. Celebrating big time! I'd like to toast you with a warm cuppa in your beautiful new mugs. I am waiting with eager anticipation to hold a signed copy of your book in my hands. And what a great announcement to have on your birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amanda how sweet it would be to sit here in front of the fireplace visiting with you over coffee. Thanks for the birthday wishes and congrats, my friend!

      Delete
  3. first of all - Happy Birthday! (my birthday was yesterday and I am still basking in the glow...hoping your happiness lasts all week!)
    second - congrats on being in Seth's book - he is an amazing person - and it only makes sense that you are included...been following you for a while and am mesmerized by your style
    and third - congrats on your book - I look forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you for stopping by and leaving such kind words on my blog and a Happy Birthday to you too!

      Delete
  4. CONGRATULATIONS! I'm so happy for you, for having lived 48 years, for inclusion in 3 books, and for getting your very own book contract... oh yeah, and the boots and mugs, too. I'll bet there's lots of us loyal fans who'd love to sit with you in front of the fire with a cuppa, contemplating whooping it up outside with Laura.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo! I foresee a virtual party of friends and artists meeting, mug in hand to share inspiration-and Whooping over lifes goodness somewhere in the future! lol!

      Delete
  5. jean brown10:57 AM

    so happy for you! I can't wait to see your book and all of the processes you go through to create your beautiful collages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jean! I have hopes to host a few play dates as I work out some of the projects for the book. I hope you will be able to join in the fun!

      Delete
  6. Crystal, Yeah! Can't wait to hold your book in my hands. You deserve this and good for North Light supporting your dream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kathie! I'm still in the surreal disbelief phase!

      Delete
  7. I am so happy for all your success Crystal. You are taking flight and there is no stopping you know. Of course I am very excited that you and your art are on the pages of my book. But I am equally excited that you will soon have your own. A huge congratulation on that. Best birthday ever I would say!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for being such an inspiration Seth!

      Delete
  8. I kept reading in hopes the surprise included a motorcycle for your brother.......there is still time. Congrats Cris!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Yes, we'll get right on that Mike!

      Delete
  9. Congratulations and Happy Birthday. Both are so well deserved. Really looking forward to your book!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations all around, Crystal. So happy to find you, thanks to Seth. Your work is amazing and right up my alley. I too love those paper scraps and book covers. It's my job to bring out the hidden meaning. Can't wait for your book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like we have similar tastes indeed! So nice to meet you!

      Delete
  11. Congratulations & Happy Birthday! I love yout work!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So happy to hear that you're writing a book... can't wait to see what's in store in it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Birthday and Congratulations on the book! i'm sure there are many looking forward to seeing the end result!

    ReplyDelete
  14. aloha crystal! i just found u thru seth's blog and i am sooo in love with your art! hopefully someday i can take a class with you as i am addicted to collage and kinda new at it, tx for sharing and inspiring, aloha,angi in hana ps congrat on your book, can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aloha to you! I'm so glad you found your way here. Thanks for the fabulous comment!

      Delete
  15. Hi Crystal! I, also, discovered you and your art via Seth and I am so happy! Your collage is incredibly emotionally charged and inspirational to me. Can't wait to see it in book form :) Congratulations and happy happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lara! Thanks so much for heading over from Seth's blog and leaving such a kind comment!

      Delete
  16. I can't wait to see your beautiful art works in this new book. Congratulations on everything!!! And Happy Birthday!
    roxanne

    ReplyDelete
  17. I get you. I don't know a surprise is coming but I love surprises when they arrive unannounced. May your 49th year be the best ever!

    I love you work. It's very raw and lets my imagination wander.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So good to be understood! And thanks so much for stopping by!

      Delete
  18. Anonymous9:31 PM

    I went to the Art Institute of Chicago today and asked to see their Encaustic collection and no one had ever heard of encaustic. Why is that?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Big, big congrats to you, Crystal; you are really on a well-deserved roll. I so admire your work and your spirit, and can't wait until your book comes out! Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations Crystal...I first found your work through Pinterest and instantly fell in love with it...what a talented artist you are. Loved reading about you in the latest Somerset Studio...you are a strong and honest person. I can't wait for your book to come out and am confident it will be terrific. Thank you for your beautiful and inspiring, touching work.

    ReplyDelete